1.5.23 on vista: difficulties launching X

Dick Repasky rrepasky@lack.ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Jan 11 14:51:00 GMT 2007

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Larry Hall (Cygwin X) wrote:

> Dick Repasky wrote:

> <snip>

>> >  Have you tried the suggestions mentioned in this thread?
>> >
>> >  <http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-11/msg00059.html>
>>

>>  Yes. Using the latest snapshot changes things, but doesn't clearly improve
>>  them.
>>
>>  For both startxwin.sh and startx, the snapshot eliminates the popup that
>>  states that sh.exe has exited.
>>
>>  Startxwin.sh still fails every time with the "child_copy: linked dll data
>>  write copy failed" error that I originally reported.
>>
>>  startx fails more than it works. It worked in only 2 of ten runs.  For 7
>>  of the 8 failures, it ended with the usual child copy error. The odd
>>  failure was one in which it hung with processor use at 100%, and windows
>>  reported cat.exe as the process that was burning up the cycles.
>
> Did you try rebasing?

When I rebaseall to 0x65000000, the child_copy error disappears. Both
startxwin.sh and startx run fine. (I have yet to try -engine 2 to get the
toolbar-X-icon-exit to work.)

WHen I rebaseall back to 0x70000000, the child_copy error does not return.
I did not believe in the healing powers of vista until I saw that.  What
does return after rebasing back to 0x70000000 is that startx
sometimes hangs with CPU at 100% and cat.exe burning cycles.

What will the longterm fix for the rebase issue be in the cygwin distro?

Thanks,

Dick