Issues with Windows Vista and X server

Kraft, Rainer Rainer.Kraft@IFLYATA.COM
Tue Jan 23 18:54:00 GMT 2007

I'm trying to use Cygwin and especially the X server on Windows Vista. I
ran into the same problems everyone did with sh.exe stalling and so on.
Forcing it to an invalid keyboard rule (Start X with -xbkrules WinVista)
fixed this issue for me. But after I installed the cygwin.dll version
1.5.23-2 it also worked without this keyboard rule work around.

But I still have two very annoying issues right now:

If I start X, it's using close to 100% of CPU. This started after I
applied the new cygwin.dll patch.

I let my PC run all the time and connect to it via RDP (Remote Desktop
Protocol) from various RDP clients (work, home). If I now have some
xterm or other X-client windows open and disconnect from my PC and
reconnect later, X and all windows will be un-responsive most of the
time. This happens for sure, if some other window popped up in front of
the X-windows in the meantime or if the screen resolution changes (when
I use a different RDP client to connect to my PC). Does anyone have any
idea how to fix this?

I'm using the latest patches, cygwin.dll version 1.5.23-2 and X.org base
6.8.99.901-1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Very Best Regards,
     Rainer  Kraft