Unable to open display or run xterm

Glen Robinson gtr@frii.com
Fri Jun 1 02:49:00 GMT 2007

I did a chmd on /tmp/.X11-unix and got X "kind of" up.  i.e., I have a
screen and a cursor and alt tab will move me in and out of Windows XP
windows/apps.  I can't get an xterm running and when I right click on
the X icon in the system tray and 'exit' the submenu that comes up says
that 0 processes are running.  Attempting to launch an xterm from a
cygwin window with "DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 && xterm &" fails with a
message that it couldn't open the display.  I am not sure what the
parameters in the DISPLAY variable are, however, I have tried using
LOCAL:0:0 and got the same effect.  This occurs on a Dell Inspiron 8600
laptop and on a very recent buld HP Pavilion (Sempron processor).  Both
have the same cygwin packages installed, and I can ssh to my linux boxes
on them wth no problem (though not from X, of course).
The attached XWin log and config file are from this laptop.