Unable to open display or run xterm

Glen Robinson gtr@frii.com
Sun Jun 3 17:25:00 GMT 2007

Christopher Faylor suggested that I try:
DISPLAY=:0 xterm&
This immediately failed with error 53 (after hitting return twice).  The
exact same thing occurred in attempting to run xclock (DISPLAY=:0
xclock&).  I am not sure what error 53 is  (or where it is coming from
- xterm or the shell  - or). When I close windows (right click on X in
tray then exit button) I get a message that zero clients are running.  I
am currently trying this on my HP desktop which has a geForce 7600
display adapter (i.e., 2 monitor capable adapter).  The X display does
come up and I can move the cursor with the mouse, so I presume X is
hitting the correct spigot.