Error 29 on Vista

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Tue Mar 6 23:11:00 GMT 2007

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) wrote:

> Fork failures are typically caused by one of two issues:
>
>   1. Buggy firewalls, virus-scanners, spyware proggies, etc.
>   2. DLL address space collisions
>
> The former can be solved by uninstalling all such junkware (no, you can't
> generally just disable this stuff) and trying again.  If it works, then
> you know you need to report a bug (to the junkware provider, not to
> Cygwin).
>  The latter can be solved by installing the 'rebase' package, reading
> '/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rebase-2.4.3.README', and following the
> instructions.
>
> Win32 error 487 is a classic indicator of problem 2 above.  I'd recommend
> starting there.  You can check the main list for lots of back-story to the
> rebase issue if you're interested.

I somehow missed that you were working on Vista.  You'll also want to
see:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-11/msg00059.html>

You can ignore references to snapshots.  If you're running the latest
Cygwin release via 'setup.exe', you're at the same level as the snapshots
at the time the message was sent.

Holliston, MA 01746