xinitrc final command with -multiwindow

J. David Blackstone jdavidb@goreadthebible.com
Wed Mar 21 14:28:00 GMT 2007

Jason wrote:

> I don't know that this helps, but I use the stock startxwin.bat batch
> file Cygwin/X shipped with. Using that batch file, I am free to close
> down the Xterm that it starts up, without X dying off.

  That seems to function by running the X server directly rather than running xinit.  Anyone know what I'll miss out on by skipping xinit?  (Other than the problem I have with needing to force the xinit process to stick around?)  I will seem to lose the ability to run custom stuff in my .xinitrc file, but I think I'd be customizing startxwin.bat/.sh anyway so that wouldn't be an issue I suppose.

> The only caveate is that this prevents a attendentless shutdown. When
> you try to shut Windows down, an confirmation will pop up asking if you
> are sure you want to disconnect all X clients. Even if there are no X
> clients left running. Windows then sits and waits indefinitely for your
> answer.

  You get the same thing with startx.

jdb