X11/ssh/sshd : 'Could not run /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth -q -'

Tristen Hayfield tristen.hayfield@gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 18:56:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

I have a server running Cygwin, sshd, and X. Upon logging in to the
server via ssh from another computer, I get the following:

[tristen@dhcp32:tristen][0%]ssh -Y -l 'Tristen Hayfield' dhcp23

Last login: Wed Mar 21 19:37:08 2007 from dhcp32
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
Could not run /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth -q -
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[Tristen Hayfield@econobox:~][0%]echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0
[Tristen Hayfield@econobox:~][0%]xterm&
[1] 5296
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0
[1]+  Exit 1                  xterm

on the server side , I have the following set in sshd_config:
X11Forwarding yes
XAuthLocation /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth

I have tried running ssh -vvv on the client side and sshd with loglevel
set to DEBUG3 in sshd_config on the server side, and I could not find
any errors or exceptional conditions in the outputs or logfiles.

The permissions on the file are:
-rwxr-x---+ 1 Tristen Hayfield Users 27648 Oct 27  2005 /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth

Which are the same as all the other files in /usr/X11R6/bin. Any clues
on why this is happening? cygcheck.out attached.

Tristen