can't startup startx in cygwin

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Mar 28 16:15:00 GMT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Katherine J Merrill wrote:

> Installed cygwin, etc a couple of years ago with using windows xp.  It
> worked fine.  Over Christmas break, made a clean sweep of the harddrive
> and reinstalled cygwin-x.  Ran it once, worked fine.  Closed it and
> could not get it to open.  Cygwin was fine.  "startx" just got hung.
> Started poking around. Decided to delete and reinstall everything.
> Worked once, then would just get hung again when I "startx".  Went to
> the FAQs and found 8.4/8.5.
>
> I get these two errors from the log:
>
> could not init font path element usr/x11r6/lib/x11/fonts/100dpi
> and
> could not init font path element usr/x11r6/lib/x11/fonts/CID
>
> It processes a couple more lines after this and just sits there.
>
> On trying to follow the 8.4 instructions when I run
> umount/usr/x11r6/lib/x11/fonts, it comes back and says that the file is
> not found.
>
> Also, there are no instructions for the other  /CID problem.
>
> How do I fix this?

The two messages you listed above are just warnings and were not the cause
of the hang.

Please search the list archives and the FAQ for the possible causes of
XWin hang.  As others mentioned, rebaseall may help, as may uninstalling
some of the "dodgy apps" that are buggy enough to cause Cygwin to behave
badly.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin