Startxwin.bat fatal error in Windows Vista

Allen Rongone arongone@aer.com
Mon May 14 19:29:00 GMT 2007

Hello,

    We recently received a new Dell Precision M90 laptop with Windows
Vista Business version 6.0 pre-installed. I downloaded and installed the
latest version of Cygwin (1.5.24) on it. Our users use it for X window
access to our Unix servers, anyway, whenever a user on this machine
attempts to run the startxwin.bat file they get a window that pops up
and says:

    A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit.
    Please open /tmp/XWin.log for more information.

    XWin was started with the following command-line:
    /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error

    I've attached a copy of the log, (along with with the output of
cygcheck) but it basically says that there was fatal server error
because it couldn't establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X
server isn't already running.

    I've seen this before under Windows XP and it was due to the fact
that the previous user was the owner of the /tmp/.X11-unix directory and
no one else had permissions to delete the X0 file nor were they able to
remove this directory. I just gave Everyone Full Control to the /tmp
directory and made it inheritable, that solved the problem. However, now
under Vista, Everyone no longer gets propagated to the /tmp/X11-unix
directory so when another user runs startxwin.bat it cannot delete the
X0 file and remove the sud-directory.

    Is this a Vista problem or a XWin.exe issue? And if so does anyone
know a workaround? I've tried configuring the permissions every which
way and no matter what I try the permissions do not get propagated to
the /tmp/X11-unix directory.

Thank you for your time,
Allen Rongone