Eliminating dead keys under X

Torsten Bronger bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Nov 8 13:17:00 GMT 2007

Hallöchen!

xerces8 writes:

> Does this problem happens with all X apps or just the one ?

With xterm and Emacs.  I didn't test other ones.  The xmodmap
command solves the problem for both apps, so I assume that it is a
global X setting.

> Does the keyboard behave differently in Windows ?

Well, it I don't know whether it is a global Windows feature but I
have no dead keys with Wordpad, Cygwin's Bash and PuTTY.

> What keyboard layout do you have set ?

German.

> What does the X server say about it (startup or log messages) ?

What do you mean, the keyboard layout?  I don't know where to look
this up, but German umlauts work as expected.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger@jabber.org
                      (See http://ime.webhop.org for ICQ, MSN, etc.)