Can start xeyes but not xclock

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Mon Nov 26 01:59:00 GMT 2007

Michael Defoin Platel wrote:
> Hi,
> I just installed a cygwin/x environment on a mahcine with XP running.
>
> Everything seems to be okay. The X server starts smoothly and I can
> run some programs such as xeyes, xemacs or display.
> However  some others such as xterm, xclock, xload fail without any
> error message.
>
> For example:
>
>> xterm
>
>> echo $?
> 53
>
> The TERM variable is set to cygwin and DISPLAY to localhost:0.0
>
> Does anybody get what's going on ?

# net helpmsg 53

The network path was not found.

This means one of the DLLs the failing application needs can't be found.
'cygcheck xterm' will give you a list of DLLs required and complain about
those that are missing.  Make sure the packages with the missing DLLs are
are installed.  Repeat for other apps.

216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 429-6305 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746