X "server already running"?

Kevin Porter kev@9ballpool.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 10:21:00 GMT 2007

Thanks Phil,

All my googling for a solution pointed to the /tmp/.X11-unix directory
but unfortunately it didn't exist, that's why I was thinking maybe an
errant pid file somewhere.

I've been lucky this time actually, a second reboot has just fixed the
problem! (Unlike the previous time I had this problem, when several
reboots had no effect and I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling
cygwin from scratch).

regards,

- Kev

Phil Betts wrote:
> Kevin Porter wrote on Monday, November 26, 2007 9:08 AM::
>

>> /tmp/XWin.log says:
>>
>> -- START /tmp/XWin.log --
>>
>> _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
>> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
>>
>> Fatal server error:
>> Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
>> already running
>> winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
>>
>> -- END /tmp/XWin.log --
>>
>> I suspect a there's a pid file still hanging around for X from the
>> previous crashed session? I can't find one, and googling for a
>> solution turned up nothing useful.
>>

> The file you're looking for is /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
>
> If you'd started X with startxwin.bat or startxwin.sh this would have
> been done as a matter of course.
>
> Phil
>
> --

Kevin Porter