FW: Problem starting xwin in windows domain

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Thu Nov 29 18:01:00 GMT 2007

Paul Mulcahy wrote:
>> Maybe you have a problem with ntfs file permissions.
>> The domain users must have at least write access to tmp and their home
> directory, and read access to most of the rest. The domain Administrator
> usually > is in the local Administrators group and will have access
> (depending on your domain setup).
>
> I suspect it is somewhere in permissions but I have allowed the user and
> group full access to the C: drive (my machine and test machine). None of
> this has helped.
>
>> Did you use mkpasswd to add the domain accounts to cygwins passwd file?
>
> Yes I've done this too but it has made little difference. The warning
> message at the start is gone but it is still the same error message.
>
> Are there any registry files that Cygwin needs? I suspect there is something
> that it can not access that it needs but I am unsure what.

If you can run cygwin.bat from a command prompt (or just click on it) and
you get a command prompt running bash, I think you can eliminate any
possibility of incidental registry keys that Cygwin uses (or may not use,
going forward).

216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 429-6305 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746