Using XWin.exe to connect to a linux X Server

jose isaias cabrera jicman@cinops.xerox.com
Fri Nov 30 17:17:00 GMT 2007

>>> So, here is what I get,
>>>
>>> d-tuxedo 10:14:06-> su
>>> Password:
>>> d-tuxedo jicman # netstat -unlp |grep 177
>>> d-tuxedo jicman #
>>>

>>> so, I guess  so, maybe XDMCP is not enabled.  But I am able to get into
>>> gnome when I am in front of the machine...
>>
>> Yes, looks like xdmcp is not enabled. If you sitting at the machine you
>> don't need xdmcp, only if you want to connect via the network.
>> Enable xdmcp or use ssh tunneling. I recommend the first.
>
> ssh is enabled, though.  That's how I connect to it from windows.  I use
> putty or cygwin.
>
> let me enable xdmcp.
>
> I will let you know how it goes.

Ok, so I enabled xdmcp and now I have a beautiful gnome signon screen.  But,
after login on, the screen disappears and the gnome signon screens appears
again.  Here is the output of the cygwin command line:

jicman 12:12:58-> XWin -clipboard -query d-tuxedo.na.xde3.xerox.org
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.8.99.901-4

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

XWin was started with the following command line:

XWin -clipboard -query d-tuxedo.na.xde3.xerox.org

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
winValidateArgs - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
winPrefsLoadPreferences: /home/us319318/.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000007
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per
pixel
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of
shared memory support in the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (USA)" (409), type "4"
Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)" Options =
"(null)"
(--) 5 mouse buttons found
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
from list!
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 697 486
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Xdmcp enabled, waiting to start clipboard
client until fourth call.
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Xdmcp enabled, waiting to start clipboard
client until fourth call.
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Xdmcp enabled, waiting to start clipboard
client until fourth call.
winInitClipboard ()
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
winProcQueryTree - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Clipboard client already launched, returning.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
display.

winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.
winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.

winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

winClipboardProc - setjmp returned for IO Error Handler.
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be
1; fixing.

We are almost there, folks. :-)

thanks,

josé