X, backingstore and opengl

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Dec 5 01:46:00 GMT 2008

Angelo Grandiosity wrote:
> Jon TURNEY wrote:
>
>> glxgears, glxinfo are GL demo programs which come with mesa (the
>> OpenGL library)
>>
>> It would be useful if you could install the mesa package and check if
>> glxinfo, glxgears work for you.
>
> You have ignored my cygchec.out here [1]. I have those packages
> installed and glxgears, glxinfo seem to work (see opengl.txt below).

Thanks.
The output of glxgears and glxinfo all looks as expected.

>> Irrespective of if I use +bs or not, with 1.5.3-4, simple.C runs ok,
>> geom/shapes.C causes ROOT to segfault unless XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS is
>> used.
>>
>> You should raise the ROOT segfault as an issue with the ROOT
>> developers. They will be far more qualified to diagnose the issue than
>> me.
>
> The fact that also XWin segfaults, means it isn't a problem only for
> ROOT developers...

I'm not saying it's a problem only for them, I'm saying they know far more
about the internals of ROOT than me.   Please try to look at this from my
perspective:

For all I know, you may have 2 separate problems.

For me geom/Shapes.C always segfaults ROOT unless I have
XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS set.  This is suggestive that ROOT can't handle ARGB
visuals.

ROOT is the only OpenGL application that Cygwin/X has reported problems with
at the moment.

>> If you wouldn't mind trying again, I've built a slightly different
>> debug version, which you can get from:
>>
>> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20081203132739.exe.bz2
>
> Just for completeness, I have tried and IT WORKS JUST FINE and without
> XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS! Respect to the previous testing-XWin you have
> proposed, with XWin.20081203132739 also the keyboard works just fine!!!
>
> So, I doubt we are referring to the same failing XWin which one finds on
> the mirrors...

I know you must be finding this frustrating, I know I am.  But I am not lying
to you when I say that I am using Xwin.exe from 1.5.3-4 and it doesn't fail
for me when I run ROOT simple.C, irrespective of if I have +bs selected or not.

I don't have some secret Cyginw/X goodness which I'm not putting into the X
server which gets uploaded to the mirrors for some bizarre motive. :-)

Ok.  I've spent a bit more time to carefully build an image which should be
identical to the 1.5.3-4 one except for the addition of debug symbols, so
perhaps you could try ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20081204180806.exe.bz2
and see if that one fails for you.

Failing that, can you post the XWin.exe.stackdump file which is generated when
the 1.5.3-4 X server segfaults for you, and I'll see if I can extract some
useful information from that.