X11 apps failing after upgrade

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Dec 5 16:56:00 GMT 2008

James Ferguson wrote:
>> If you're building emacs yourself, you might try to ./configure it
> --without-xim to see if that makes a difference, or if it just fails
> in a different place.
>
> That worked -  Thank you... Now I can run Emacs (from the non-production
> Solaris machine I'm allowed to patch).

Thanks for being the guinea pig.

What is the failure mode for running emacs on an unpatched Solaris?

> Now I'm just trying to work out how to get readable fonts.  The behavior
> seems weird.  The fonts appear to be huge and they looks like a bitmap
> font scaled up.  10 point Courier is really quite large, and 8 point is
> too small.  It's all very strange.

Do you have the font-adobe-dpi75 package installed?

> Is there some dpi setting I should tweak?  I tried -dpi on the XWin
> command but it didn't seem to have any effect.
>
> (background: My XP is at the default dpi, though I did tweak it up and
> back down a few months ago)

I don't think changing the X server -dpi actually affects the DPI used for
fonts (counter-intuitive perhaps, but this would generally make them look even
worse)