Swiss German Keyboard Layout - Some Keys Not Found

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Dec 16 18:13:00 GMT 2008

Sascha Tayefeh wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have been trying to set the Swiss German keyboard layout:
>
> $ setxkbmap.exe ch -model pc105
>
> Fortunately, most of the keys are recognised ... unfortunately, some
> are not. äöü are not recognised at all. Furthermore, some combinations
> with the right meta key don't work, e.g. pipe: |.
>
> Any suggestions what I have done wrong or what else I could try?

Telling Windows I have a Swiss German keyboard, my /var/log/XWin.0.log contains...

(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000807" (00000807)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "German (Switzerland)" (807), type "4"
Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc105" Layout = "de_CH" Variant = "(null)" Options =
"(null)"
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
 > Error:            Can't find file "de_CH" for symbols include
 >                   Exiting
 >                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

So it seems that the name of the auto-detected keyboard layout is no longer
correct.

Guessing wildly, is 'setxkbmap ch -variant de -model pc105' any better?

If you let me know the setkxbmap which works correctly, I can update the table
of autodetected keyboard maps appropriately.