PATCH:

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Dec 19 23:28:00 GMT 2008

Colin Harrison wrote:

> Can't think what the option achieves anyway.
> You can't run duplicate display-numbers, so warning the user is **always** a
> good idea.
>
> Maybe an idea too-far, but I've never used -silent-dup-error, it is a little
> daft..so lets just ditch it?

The usefulness is that you can write a script that does:

* start X server --multiwindow --silent-dup-error
* start xterm (or whatever application)

which gives you the application in a window whether the X server is already
running or not.  The default startxwin.bat script for Cygwin/X does exactly that.

In this case, if the server can't start for some reason other than that there
is one already running, the right thing to do is tell the user, rather than
mysteriously failing silently.