Problems using startxwin.bat

Cary Jamison CaryJ57@NetZero.net
Wed Feb 6 17:19:00 GMT 2008

castlehill@comcast.net wrote:
> I've been a subscriber to this list for some time, but I believe this
> is my first
> post.  I'm a college professor who uses Cygwin in a small PC lab.  I
> can start
> an X server just fine (I'm an Administrator under Windows on these
> machines)
> but my students cannot.  I've already read the FAQ.  Here are the
> specifics:
>
> i) When my students attempt to run startxwin.bat, they get a dialog
> box telling
> them they have a fatal error and to look at Xwin.log (I have attached
> an Xwin.log
> from a machine where a student attempted to use startxwin.bat).  I do
> not get
> this error when I run startxwin.bat; the X server comes up just fine.
>
> ii)  Here is the result of running ls  -al  /tmp   /tmp/.X11-unix:
>
> /tmp:
> total 8
> drwxrwxrwt+  3 blandry   Users           0 Feb  6 09:07 .
> drwxrwxrwx+ 15 blandry   Users           0 Jan 28 16:50 ..
> drwxrwxrwt+  2 lgriffith Domain Users    0 Feb  5 13:59 .X11-unix
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 lgriffith Users        4533 Jan 28 17:33 XWin.log
>
> /tmp/.X11-unix:
> total 0
> drwxrwxrwt+ 2 lgriffith Domain Users 0 Feb  5 13:59 .
> drwxrwxrwt+ 3 blandry   Users        0 Feb  6 09:07 ..
>
> (lgriffith is my account and it is an Administrator under Windows.
> blandry is the
> account of our lab tech and it is not an administrator account.)

There have been similar posts in the past about how to set up for multiple
users.  Since I don't have that setup, I can only offer a couple vague
suggestions, including that you search again for those posts.

You seem to be on the right track that the problem is access to these files
and directories in /tmp.  If the files are there owned by you, another user
can't come along and overwrite them.  I believe some of the suggestions in
the past included things like making sure this stuff gets cleaned up in /tmp
and/or giving each user their own /tmp ($TMP or $TEMP).

HTH,
Cary