Xwin crashed when i use "-depth 24"

Phil Betts Phil.Betts@ascribe.com
Thu Jan 3 12:22:00 GMT 2008

Ali asghar Toraby wrote on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 6:12 AM::

> hi friends

Asking the same question 3 times in quick succession without waiting
for a response will not make you any friends here.

> i use xwin to remote solaris8 CDE environment. when i use
> 24 bpp option it crashed and following is the output that it prompt
> to me: ##############################################################

[snip]

> winAllocateFBShadowDD - Changing video mode
> winAllocateFBShadowDD - Could not set full screen display mode:
> 80004001 winFinishScreenInitFB - Could not allocate framebuffer
> winScreenInit - winFinishScreenInit () failed

[snip]

> how to i can fix this problem?

The -depth parameter must match what your hardware is capable of
displaying.  It is usually safest to omit the depth option and let
XWin use the current Windows mode.

> i want to use 24 bpp to have a right
> colors in CDE session. in  other modes (8,16,32) colors not properly.
> in Xconnect-pro when i use 24 bpp it worked successfully but in
> cygwin/x it crashed and core dumped!! WHY?? :(
> please help me. thanks for any reply

If your Windows display is set to 32bpp, and XWin is started without
the depth option, but CDE does not display the correct colours, I can
only assume that CDE (or the Solaris X11 library) is making invalid
assumptions about the pixel format.  If so, then you should address
your question to Sun.  There is no problem when running X software
from other vendors.

Phil