[solved] X.org swiss keyboard layout problem

Raphael Colliard raphael.colliard@gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 10:28:00 GMT 2008

I had a very annoying problem with X.org swiss-french keyboard layout.
I found the solution which may be of interest for a lot of people.

Everytime I ran X, I got in XWin.log

(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=250, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "0000100C" (0000100c)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "French (Switzerland)" (100c), type "4"
Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc105" Layout = "fr_CH" Variant = "(null)"
Options = "(null)"
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            Can't find file "pc/fr_CH" for symbols include
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning symbols file "default"

So my keyboard layout was automatically detected, but the
corresponding file pc/fr_CH was not found.

The workaround I found was to create a symbolic link in cygwin in :
/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc

by typing :

"ln ch fr_CH"

Now at least I have a keyboard layout close to what I need (swiss
german instead of swiss french), which mean inversion of ö-é and so
on...

Regards,
Raphael