X11R7.4 multiwindow ignoring title bars for geometry

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Wed Nov 12 03:03:00 GMT 2008

I just updated to the X11R7.4 release.

I start the X server in multiwindow mode using /bin/startxwin.sh. If I
then type

   xterm -geometry +0+0

into the visible XTerm, the new XTerm shows up in the top-left of the
screen, but the title bar is off the top of the screen and not visible.
This makes it impossible to move the window. I have to use +5+30 to get
it where I want. This isn't a problem when I specify the geometry, but
does cause problems when I run other applications that open their own
windows. Most recently, I had this problem with wireshark running from a
Debian Etch server.

This is a regression from the previous X11 release.

Pohl's law:
         Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere, will not hate it.