Connecting to an XServer with XWin

jose isaias cabrera jicman@cinops.xerox.com
Tue Nov 18 04:49:00 GMT 2008

From: "Jon TURNEY" wrote...

> jose isaias cabrera wrote:
>>> Are you looking for XWin.log in /var/log ?
>> No.  /tmp.
>
> Ok, please look for /var/log/XWin.log; does it contain anything
> interesting?

Attached...

>>> If you open a cygwin bash shell, type the command to run the X server,
>>> you get
>>> no output at all?
>> Cygwin X server is running ok.  Well, xinit, is the way I start mine.
>> That works ok.  If you mean the command above, that is how I do it:  I
>> open the cygwin bash DOS shell and I type the command above.
>
> I wasn't sure what you meant by "Nothing gets written on the cygwin DOS
> screen"
This is the copy text of the bash DOS term

jic 23:24:55-> XWin -once -clipboard -query 13.142.6.222 -fp
tcp/13.142.6.222:7100
jic 23:26:42->

as you can see, nothing gets written to the bash DOS screen...

> I'm still a bit unclear if something or nothing gets written to the shell
> window when you run xwin.

just like I said above.  When I run the command previously, I would get
something written.  Like what the XWin.log has.

>>> If you add -once to the command used to launch the server, does it
>>> exit after
>>> your first connection attempt? (if so, this tells me that the XDM or
>>> whatever
>>> you are trying to log in to is closing the connection when you type,
>>> for it's
>>> own reasons, or maybe it just doesn't like us anymore...)
>>
>> This command,
>>
>> XWin :0.0 -once -clipboard -query 13.142.6.222 -fp tcp/13.142.6.222:7100
>>
>> exits the login screen once I hit any key in the user textbox.  Is there
>> any way to get the previous setup? Maybe it has to do with the keyboard
>> problem I have read very little of...
>
> No, I think problem is that the XDM (if that's what it is) you're
> connecting
> to is getting upset and closing the connection.
>
> This email suggests a way of getting additional information about why XDM
> is
> doing that: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-01/msg00253.html

Ok, I will give this a try tomorrow, when I am in front of it.

> If your keyboard wasn't working, then, logic suggests that nothing would
> happen when you started typing your login.
Right.