xterm utf8 cyrillic

KMiller miller_kurt_e@yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 19:41:00 GMT 2009

The first thing I noticed was that in the xterm menus, the defaults in
.Xdefaults (after xrdb load) are checked if they have been set.  That said,
no matter what I try in .Xdefaults, the UTF-8 option under VT Fonts is never
checked.  Don't know if that indicates a problem or not.

Nonetheless, when I set a font and then manually check the UTF-8 option  -
the Cyrillic output is garbled.

Only when I do not set a font and allow xterm to handle all font selections
does the output display properly.

What I would like to know is what xterm is selecting internally so I can
mimic that in my .Xdefaults.  I've looked at the utilities xwininfo, xprop,
and xlsatoms but can't really see any info that helps me figure out what is
being used.

.Xdefaults:
XTerm*jumpScroll:       on
XTerm*pointerShape:     arrow
XTerm*pointerColor:     white
XTerm*pointerBackgroundColor:     white
XTerm*cursorColor:      yellow1
XTerm*borderColor:      red
XTerm*reverseVideo:     1
XTerm*foreground:       green
XTerm*background:       black
XTerm*scrollKey:        on
XTerm*highlight:        white
XTerm*saveLines:        1000
XTerm*loginShell:       1
! have to comment this out for cyrillic to display...
XTerm*font:
-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--15-140-75-75-C-90-ISO8859-1
!xterm*toolBar: false
XTerm*vt100*geometry:   117x36+25+26

*VT100*scrollbar.width:         14
*VT100*scrollbar.background:    gray60
*VT100*scrollbar.foreground:    rgb:a/5/5
*VT100*scrollbar.borderWidth:   0
*VT100*rightScrollBar: true
*VT100*scrollBar: true
*VT100*scrollLines: 1000