Dual Screen XDMCP Session

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Aug 6 12:31:00 GMT 2009

On 06/08/2009 10:27, Steven Maddox wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I've been trying to use Xming with very little success for this task but
> apparently it can be done using cygwin too.  Now this task could be impossible
> on both applications so I just wanted to check if anyone thought it was possible.

Cygwin/X and Xming share more or less the same codebase.

> On my computer at work I've got a dual head set up (two 1280x1024 screens side
> by side) and I've been blissfully using Linux on it for the last 2 years.  Only
> now they've demanded all machines must run Vista so I've had to reinstall.  I've
> installed Linux on a virtual machine on one of our ESXi servers (Vista makes the
> machine sluggish enough without running a virtual machine locally!).
>
> Now I can NX and XDMCP (using Xming thus far) into it just fine but that only
> gives me one fullscreen.  I could VNC to it but theres not two 'virtual
> monitors' to poll, and VNC is slow even on a LAN anyway.
>
> So given NX, XDMCP, Cygwin/X, etc... are all miniature X servers that can tunnel
> over SSH... I was thinking maybe make a local xorg.conf on the Windows box and
> set up two screens with Xinerama or something like that.
>
> This is the closest I got with Xming...
>
> xming :0 -query 10.60.20.165 -clipboard -screen 0 @1 -screen 1 @2

> This makes two seperate screens (like if Xinerama is turned off, and you get two
> GNOME panels)... and they arn't full screen either just maximized (can't seem to
> use the option -fullscreen when specifying two screens).

Rather than naming all your screens, it sounds like you want to use the
-multimonitors options, which gives you a single X screen which covers the
entire Windows desktop

Alternatively, if the applications you are running are Xinerama-aware,
-screen 0 @1 -screen 1 @2 +xinerama may be better (although Xinerama mode has
currently has a few restrictions, as noted in [2])

Add -nodecoration to remove the window borders

As always, the man page [1] is your friend

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/XWin.1.html
[2] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2009-02/msg00007.html