1.7 - what's the right way to start X?

Fredrik Staxeng fstx+u@update.uu.se
Fri Dec 4 16:13:00 GMT 2009

"Larry Hall (Cygwin X)" <reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com> writes:

>On 12/03/2009 04:07 PM, Fredrik Staxeng wrote:
>> What is the recommended/preferred way to start X in 1.7? In 1.5
>> I used a modified version of startxwin.bat. And where do I
>> put my .xinitrc/.xsession script?
>
>What about startxwin.bat doesn't work for you?  There shouldn't be
>differences between 1.5 and 1.7 here.

Now I have gotten startxwin.bat to work, and modified it to run my bash
script. I had some strange problems on the way though. Previously, I had
used the Cygwin Bash Shell to make some changes. I use mount -c /, change
/etc/passwd to refer to right home directory /c/home/fstx, and put in
my .profile and .bash_rc files. I don't remember doing the mkpasswd/mkgroup
thing, but I could have.

When I double-clicked startxwin.bat for the first time, it failed. I think
XWin.exe did not start dfor some reason. But I immediately tried again, and
this time I got an XTerm. However, I was in /home/fstx, not /c/home/fstx,
and I got the mkpasswd message.

When I tried to fix things, I discovered that the mount prefix was set back
to /cygdrive. I can change it, but when I restart cygwin it goes back to
/cygdrive. I can live with that (at least for now)

But starting xterms seems to be very slow, and about 25% of time it fails
with
      2 [main] xterm 3128 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp
before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
xterm: Error 29, errno 11: Resource temporarily unavailable
Reason: spawn: fork() failed

I have seen this problem before, and the solution was to run rebaseall,
which broke emacs, and then reinstall libncurses to fix emacs.

Is this the way to do it?
Will it still break emacs?
Will other things break?
Will it break again when updating cygwin?

I am running Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise.

Despite the troubles I have had, I must say that I admire Cygwin for
doing a very good job at an almost impossible task, and the developers
for the heroic efforts to bring Cygwin to each new version of Windows,
despite that Microsoft apparently couldn't care less about breaking it.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr
This is all you need to know about vi: ESC : q ! RET