Restore Alt-Ctl-Backspace As Server Kill

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Feb 3 19:05:00 GMT 2009

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>> I really hate the assignment of Alt-F4 to kill a running X-server.
>> What magic must I perform to set it back to the more traditional
>> Alt-Ctl-Backspace combo?  Thanks.
>
> Let me ask this more properly.  I know how to use -nounixkill and
> -nowinkill to prevent keyboard initiated kills of the server.
>
> I use a VirtuaWin on a WinXP system to provide multiple desktops.
> One of them is activated via Ctrl-Alt-F4.  When I do this,
> it kills the running instance of Cygwin/X which apparently sees
> this key combo as a "kill server" command.  This is true whether
> or not -nounixkill and/or -nowinkill are in use.
>
> Ideas?

I'm afraid I'm not able to reproduce this.

I see that the code doesn't consider the state of the control or shift keys
when looking for alt-f4 to close the server (so ctrl-alt-f4 also closes it,
which is possibly a bug), but this should also be disabled by -nowinkill,
which is what I observe.

> I really hate the assignment of Alt-F4 to kill a running X-server.
> What magic must I perform to set it back to the more traditional
> Alt-Ctl-Backspace combo?  Thanks.

-unixkill -nowinkill should achieve this.