X / gtk-x11 / flicker and other problems [+PATCH]

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Feb 15 17:43:00 GMT 2009

John Emmas wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon TURNEY"
> Subject: Re: X / gtk-x11 / flicker and other problems [+PATCH]
>>
>> I guess you need to either create that directory so it can write to it
>>
> Done that - but now I'm getting a bit paranoid...  it fixed the original
> problem but now when I try to launch XWin I get a message box saying
> "Windows Firewall has blocked this program from accepting connections from
> the internet or network. If you trust the publisher you can unblock it."
> Hmmm... do I / should I unblock it?? Unblocking it temporarily lets me run

You'll have to make your own mind up about whether or not you trust the
publisher of that program or not :-)

For what it's worth, the X server needs to be able to accept connections from
client programs to work, and the firewall correctly considers this XWin to be
a different program to the one in /usr/bin/, which you have probably permitted
to accept connections at some time in the past...

> XWin - apparently fine, although I see a couple of errors in the log file:-
>
> (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (No such file
> or directory)
> (EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
>
> Are these anything to be worried about?

OpenGL X applications won't work. I don't know if that concerns you or not :-)

Given your earlier problems with glproto, I suspect you don't have libGL
installed properly...

$ cygcheck -f /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
libGL1-7.2-2

> BTW Jon - flickering seems to be vastly improved!!  Thanks for all your
> help.

\o/

Thanks for being the guinea pig.  I'll update the CG document to hopefully
clarify the things which caused you problems.