Reproducing the cygwin X problems

Dan Tsafrir dan.tsafrir@gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:35:00 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Mike Ayers <mike_ayers@tvworks.com> wrote:

>        Lately, I have been having problems with the cygwin X server and cut-n-paste.
> I have reported a connection to vncclient (RealVNC) - in fact, I don't recall having
> problems with vncclient not running.  These days I use one or the other - so far,
> so good.
>
>        Unfortunately, though, I am in the habit of cutting and pasting between vncclient
> and cygwin X, so if I can be of any tracking the problem down, please let me know.
>
>        If I have vncclient and an xterm running, simply selecting text on the xterm is
> sufficient to cause the problem, which I confirm by raising the xterm over the
> vncclient, then clicking the vncclient to raise it (it then exhibits responsiveness
> problems).

I confirm this exact behavior.

This is exactly the problem I'm experiencing in terms of copy-paste on
my XP machine. Specifically, if the vncviewer (TightVNC) is open, and
I select a text in a cygwin xterm or emacs, then copy-paste /
cut-and-paste completely stops functioning on my machine.

Initially, the only way I was aware of to get the copy-paste
functionality back was to reboot the machine. But recently I've
noticed another way. I run XP's 'clipbrd', which (in the state of no
copy-paste functionality) produces one of these two strange outcomes:

1) clipboard displays the following message

    "ClipBook Viewer cannot display the information in its current format
    or there is not enough memory to display it. Quit one or more
    applications to increase the available memory, and try again."

2) clipboard is "going insane", seemingly trying to endlessly scroll
down (while simultaneously displaying a message saying "Method Open
Fai") and taking up 25-30% of the CPU.

In both case, if I click the 'delete' button within the clipboard
application (= clear content of clipboard) then the insane behavior
stops and copy-paste starts working again as long as no cygwin X
application is involved. But the minute I highlight some text in a
cygwin X application, the insane behavior within clipbrd resumes. The
only way to make things normal again (that I'm aware of) is to kill
cygwin/X (which, in this situation, mandates killing all cygwin
applications through the task-manager, otherwise they refuse to die
and just hang).

    --Dan