Xwin_GL source (was Re: X.org 7.4 dying under Geomview)

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Feb 24 17:57:00 GMT 2009

Phil Betts wrote:
> If acceleration matters so much to you, I'm sure Yaakov and Jon would
> welcome patches to enable it ;-)
>
> The source for the experimental version isn't available via setup.exe,
> and I haven't been able to locate the source elsewhere.  Since the
> original package is still available (even if obsolete), I thought that
> the GPL insisted that the source was similarly available.  I would like
> to take a diff of the two X11R6 server packages, with a view to merging
> the changes into the current, much changed, source, but without access
> the source for both accelerated and unaccelerated, this is impossible.
>
> Does anyone know where one might find the source package for
> xorg-x11-xwin-gl-6.8.99.901-1?  I've tried the Cygwin Time Machine, but
> it appears to be down.

As far as I know, there is no separate source package for xwin-gl, it is
simply the same X server built with different flags.

This mail [1], linked to from the todo web page, seems to explain how to build
with the acceleration code enabled, in the old, Imakefile'd monolithic tree.

I haven't looked at all as to if it's a simple of just finding the correct
thing to turn on in the modular tree, or how much this has rusted due to other
internal changes in the X server or GLX over the intervening years.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-03/msg00001.html