xdvi unexplained locale problem

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Feb 24 19:11:00 GMT 2009

Dan Tsafrir wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Mike Ayers <mike_ayers@tvworks.com> wrote:
>> Dan Tsafrir wrote:
>>> open xdvi, I get the following error message:
>>> Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
>>> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
>>> Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
>>> Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
>>  Try unsetting LOCPATH:
>
> This didn't work either.
>
> In fact, I tried unset-ing this and very many other env variables
> before posting the question here.

I'm sorry, I must have left my telepathy switched off.  Anything else that
you've tried that you'd like to mention now :-)

Looking at your cygcheck output some more, I notice you seem to have a lot of
old X DLLs in /usr/X11R6/bin/ (which should have been removed by setup, but
haven't been for some reason [in use when setup was run?]).  Since xdvi is
still in /usr/X11R6/bin, this might well be causing a problem (the Windows
loader looks in the directory from which the application loaded to find DLLs
first, I think?)

> It seems to me that the behavior is
> unrelated to any env variables. It appears as though, for some
> unexplained reason, somewhere along the way, xdvi or X think they need
> to change to a locale other than C.
>
> Googling the error messages shows that ubuntu users faced a similar
> problem in early 2007 (related to xdvi and xfig):
>
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/control-center/+bug/2066

I don't actually see the "locale not supported" warning anywhere in that bug
report, so I am unsure of it's relevance.

> Some thought it was an xorg problem. The suggested workarounds (e.g.,
> setting a LANG=C env var) don't work for me. Am I the only one that
> gets this error message for xdvi on cygwin?

I'm sorry to say that, yes, you are abnormal :-) xdvi runs without this error
message for me.