cursor warp [+PATCH]

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jan 12 20:13:00 GMT 2009

Jon TURNEY wrote:
> Tom George wrote:
>> Cursor warping does not work with the -multiwindow option. It works
>> fine in the single window mode. I saw some vague references to this
>> but nothing to indicate it will be fixed. Are there any plans to fix
>> this?
>
> The first step towards fixing this is a description of the problem that
> can be understood by someone who isn't in front of your computer :-)
>
>> Otherwise, Cygwin/X work great!

 > Tom George wrote:
> I have an application that uses XWarpPointer to relocate the cursor on the screen. I recognize that this is not recommended protocol but it is very useful for this application.
>
> If cygwin X is started without the -multiwindow option, cursor warping works as expected. However, if the -multiwindow option is included, it seems that all calls to XWarpPointer are ignored. Maybe I am doing something wrong on startup or there is an alternate way to warp the cursor.
>
> I saw that there was some early references to this problem related to positioning the cursor on startup
> (http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-05/msg00443.html) but no apparent resolution. If possible, I would like to see the XWarpPointer function work as documented for any windowing configuration.

Much better :-) Even I can understand what the problem is now.
(but for some reason your 2nd mail didn't appear on gmane, so I almost missed it)

The 'cursor positioning on startup' issue is subtly different: the X server
internally generates a pointer warp at startup to move the pointer to the
centre of the screen.  XWin takes special steps to ignore this warp, so that
merely launching the X server doesn't disrupt what the user was doing.

Attached patch enables XWarpCursor to do something in -multiwindow and
-rootless modes.

Also attached is a small application which functions as testcase for this.