XWin with "rootless" option crashes on Vista

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Jan 27 18:34:00 GMT 2009

rincewind wrote:
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
>
> Please try completely uninstalling the Logitech software, make sure
> you're running the current versions of Cygwin and X11, and try again.

Your reply seems to be missing "I've tried uninstalling this and the problem
remains" :-)

> Thanks for taking a look into my message. I have uploaded the relevant files
> (cygcheck and xwin.0.log). I am able to see some differences between the
> Xwin.log entries of successful (multiwindow) version and the failed
> (rootless) version. But perhaps they are directly related to the multiwindow
> and rootless options themselves.
>
> Is there a way I could obtain a stack trace of the crashing process on vista
> ??

[install gdb package]
$ gdb --args XWin <X-command-line-arguments>
[...]
(gdb) run
[...]
(gdb) bt full

To get something useful you'll probably want to use the unstripped binary I've
made specially for you at [1]

The instructions in the contributors guide [2] should clearly explain the
process of building the X server from source.

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin-1.5.3-5.exe.bz2
[2] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/cg/cygwin-x-cg.html