Broken Font Loading

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Jan 29 21:23:00 GMT 2009

Robert Martin wrote:
> I recently accidentally upgraded my Cygwin/X to Version 1.5.3.
>
> One of the applications I use, amrvis, from Berkeley lab now crashes
> when I try to get a line plot when it still works with a previous
> version of Cygwin/X on another machine (the about dialog just says the
> dialog is from 2004/3/25, but I think it's actually newer than that...
> man for 'X' says version 6.8.2.0).
>
> Here's what I could track down that seemed relevant.

[...]
> XYPlotDefaults.H:52:#define DEF_LABEL_FONT             "helvetica-10"
[...]

> Any ideas?  Is this even the right place to send questions?

Yes, this is the right place :-)

I'd guess you need to install the 'font-adobe-dpi75' package to provide the
helvetica font.

If this does fix your problem, you should perhaps raise a bug on the
application you are using that it should do something more helpful than just
crash when the font it wants to use is unavailable. :-)