Mouse chording question

Peter Scott Peter@PSDT.com
Thu Jul 2 14:59:00 GMT 2009

At 03:42 AM 7/2/2009, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>On 02/07/2009 05:50, Peter Scott wrote:
>>Hello.  I would like to migrate from eXceed to Cygwin for the
>>performance improvement,
>
>What performance improvement?
>
>The performance/price ratio is infinitely better, ofc :-)

Good point :)  eXceed is remarkably slow at drawing certain windows and
menus in some applications I use, even after tuning saveunders and
backing store.  Unfortunately one of them is eclipse.  I suspect it has
something to do with pixmaps.  Cygwin is fast.  I tried Xming but it
crashes on some apps.

>The -emulate3buttons option should be doing precisely what you want;
>it emulates a middle-mouse button press when the left and right mouse
>buttons are pressed 'near simultaneously' (i.e. within the timeout specified).
>
>This works for me.

I believe you... I am used to giving my users that answer :)

And it seems the role reversal is complete... because now (after a
reboot) it works for me, too.

Investigation reveals a case of RTFM deficiency.  After each server
option edit I exited the xterm that came up from the server start
script and figured the server went away too (this is common in some X
configurations, and my systray was shrunk without the X icon
showing).  So subsequent server restarts weren't taking because the
first server invocation was still running.

Problem solved.  Sorry to bother you.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies