Cygwin 1.7 hangs with my .xinitrc

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jul 6 15:15:00 GMT 2009

On 04/07/2009 17:48, David A Bagley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I like to start X with a whole bunch of windows instead of creating each
> time.  In Cygwin 1.5 I did this with no problem.
>
> In 1.7 this hangs.   It hangs in a way where I can't open anything else
> and have to pull the power to computer.  If I comment out all the xterm's
> it works fine.

What an interesting .xinitrc :-)

I can reproduce the problem using it.  I seem to end up with a few of the
xterms spinning somewhere and trying to use 100% CPU, and outputting the
following:

No protocol specified
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0

After inserting 'sleep 1' into the .xinitrc before each xterm seems to start
up without trouble, so I guess there's some sort of timing condition
somewhere, although I've no idea where...