XWin freezes on xkbcomp

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jul 6 15:40:00 GMT 2009

On 02/07/2009 19:08, Zdrojewski, Tye wrote:
> After recently reinstalling cygwin, XWin freezes when I try to run it.
> There are two XWin processes running when it is frozen.  When the XWin
> process with the smaller memory footprint was killed, the following went
> into the log, and it appeared to unfreeze for a moment.
>
> (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
>
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
>
> (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
>
> I started XWin with the -kb option, which stopped the freezing, but I
> don't use the standard US keyboard, so this isn't really on option for
> me.

I suggest you test if you can run xkbcomp at all, e.g.

xkbcomp --help
setxkbmap de -print | xkbcomp -w3 -xkm - localhost:0.0

(replace 'de' with the secret keyboard layout you want to use)

> I also notice that /etc/X11/xkb/ is not there, along with several other
> directories that ARE there on another PC with a working cygwin install:
>
> $ ls /etc/X11
>
> app-defaults/  system.XWinrc*  xinit/

This is normal

> Seems like there ought to be more there, because this is what that dir
> looks like on the working install:
>
> app-defaults/  fs/  lbxproxy/  proxymngr/  rstart/  twm/  xdm/  xinit/
> xkb/  xserver/  xsm/

This looks like an older (pre-X11R7.4) installation (or has directories left
over from an older installation.  For all I know that xkb/ is empty :-) )

> This seems like a BIG problem.  Hopefully this is something already
> being worked on or already fixed.

I think you are the only person who has reported a problem like this, so I'm
afraid I can't agree with any of those statements.