trouble with fonts

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed Jul 22 17:10:00 GMT 2009

On 22/07/2009 17:53, Bert Thomas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can you please have a look at this picture:
>
> http://intern.brothom.nl/x-trouble.JPG
>
> It shows the trouble I'm experiencing.
>
> Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology, but if I search on google I
> can't find anything usefull.

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-where-are-my-fonts

I suspect that installing some fonts might solve your problem.

> Fonts of certain programs (QT) appear as square blocks.
>
> The programs are running on a remote machine over a putty x11 tunnel.
> The "eagle" program you see in the background runs on another remote
> machine over another putty tunnel. That program behaves as expected.

Hmm, yes.  It looks like that is using the server-side built-in font
successfully, whereas the Qt applications would be using client-side fonts.

I don't know quite why this isn't working correctly.  I wonder if the
character encodings aren't installed unless non-built in fonts are installed,
and if that might cause this...