[1.7] Socket problems after xorg-server update

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Jun 26 14:40:00 GMT 2009

After I upgraded to xorg-server-1.6.0-10, XWin.exe exited immediately
with the following error message in the log file:

   _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6

After some googling, I decided that the problem might be that the IPv6
protocol wasn't installed.  So I installed it, following the instructions at

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_ip_v6_pro_inst.mspx?mfr=true

Now XWin.exe works (except for two problems I'll describe below), but
the log file contains

_XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for inet6

Could this still indicate a problem involving IPv6?  Should I have done
some configuration after installing it?  I did run 'ipv6.exe if' and
compare it to the output from a different machine on which IPv6 had been
preinstalled.  I didn't notice any substantial differences, but maybe I
don't know what to look for.

Now for the two problems:

1. After running startxwin.bat, it takes about 20 seconds for the X icon
to appear in the taskbar.  I guess that's related to the socket problems
reported in the log.

2. After I shut down the server by right-clicking the taskbar icon and
choosing Exit, the files /tmp/.X0-lock and /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 don't get
deleted.

Two last bits of information:

First, while the X server was running, I gave the command 'netstat -b'
and didn't see anything indicating a problem.  Again, maybe I don't know
what to look for.

Second, when I started XWin.exe, I didn't get the expected popup from
the Windows firewall.  (Maybe that's because the first time I tried it,
it exited too quickly because of the missing IPv6.)  I then tried to
manually add the exception, but I get the message that the exception was
already there.  This surprised me, because I usually have to unblock a
program each time a new version of the binary is installed.

Suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm attaching cygcheck output, the
XWin log, and partial output from 'netstat -b'.  (The deleted portions
don't involve port 6000.)

Ken