Novice Question

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Jun 28 17:53:00 GMT 2009

Andys wrote:
> Trying to get the lastest X to run on Cygwin 1-7 but only seem to be able to
> get a core dump....  the log:

Firstly, thanks very much for trying it out and reporting the problem.

> XWin was started with the following command line:
>
> /usr/bin/XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error
>
> ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
> winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1680 h 1050
> winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
> _XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
> _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for inet6
>

> When I run the commands manually from the startxwin.bat I get a "Segmentation
> Fault (core dumped)"
>
> IP6 is installed on a Vista32 OS but I have no clue on how to  further
> diagnose the problem

I don't believe IPv6 is the cause of the problem you are seeing, this just
happens to be the last line of output written.

You could test this by adding '-nolisten inet6' to the command line used to
start the X server.

> All software used is the latest as of today
>
> Any suggestions welcome

If the suggestion above fails, I'd like your help to get a backtrace, if you
are willing:

1. Download ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20090628173519.exe.bz2
(this is a build of the 1.6.0.0-1 X server but with debugging symbols unstripped)
2. bunzip2 XWin.20090628173519.exe.bz2 to uncompress it
3. gdb --args ./XWin.20090628173519.exe  -multiwindow -clipboard -logverbose 3
(you may need to install the gdb package)
4  wait for the '(gdb)' prompt, type 'r'
5. wait for the segmentation fault to occur, you should get another '(gdb)'
prompt, "bt full"
6. post the output