Proposed patch to system.XWinrc

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Jun 30 16:55:00 GMT 2009

Jon TURNEY wrote:
> jose isaias cabrera wrote:
>> "Ken Brown" wrote...
>>> What's the reason for launching everything using sh rather than bash?
>>> If I'm reading the bash documentation correctly, it means that
>>> ~/.bash_profile won't get executed (though it would get executed if
>>> it were renamed ~/.profile).
>>
>> I've always wondered the same thing...
>
> Always assuming that /bin/bash exists, or that /bin/sh is bash is
> probably bad style for portability across unicies.
>
> However, in this specific case, it's probably ok.

I guess what I should have said is that only the first style point is relevant
here, and is a non-issue if we arrange for the X server to explicitly depend
on bash.

So, attached patch changes X server to start processes using '/bin/bash -l
-c'.  setup.hint should also be changed to add bash to the X server's requires:

This will give a 'consistent user experience' in a default install as the
prompt in an xterm will then be the same as in a DOS shell or mintty window :-)