1.5.3 (20090222): window stacking order redraw bug

Gary Steele gsteele13@gmail.com
Wed May 13 17:55:00 GMT 2009

Hi,

I've noticed a bug with the redrawing of windows under win32 with multiwindow
mode.

I am using Cygwin/X version 1.5.3 (20090222), which I believe (?) is based on
xorg 7.4.

I use a program called "VirtualWin" to add virtual desktop functionality under
XP. When switching between two desktops that contain Xorg windows, it
frequently occurs that the contents of the windows one the new desktop are
drawn with the contents of overlapping windows on the previous desktop. I've
illustrated this here with some screenshots:

http://qt.tn.tudelft.nl/~gsteele/desktop_emacs.jpg
http://qt.tn.tudelft.nl/~gsteele/desktop_xterm.jpg

I have also noticed this bug when using a program "TrueXMouse", which emulates
full mouse focus under XP. It seems that using these programs, Xorg sometimes
get confused about which window is on top of which, and draws the incorrect
window contents.

I've noticed some very old messages relating to window stacking order problems
which seem to be the same thing I'm having:

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-03/msg00849.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-04/msg00093.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-04/msg00340.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-05/msg00191.html