run.exe and startxwin.bat [was: 'run xterm' fails to open a window]

Lothar Brendel lottas.junk@geekmail.de
Wed Nov 11 07:28:00 GMT 2009

Mike Ayers wrote:
> [...]

I normally don't. It was what I boiled down the non-functioning line
    %RUN% checkX -wait -d %DISPLAY% -t 12
in startxwin.bat (from xinit-1.1.1-6.tar.bz2) to.

Like that, the "-wait" has no effect and a non-running X-server isn't
reflected in %errorlevel%, either.

And (of course) I can confirm the correct behaviour when using sh.exe
instead of run.exe. Which brings us to the question of using run.exe in
startxwin.bat. I don't see the point of hoping for a windowless console
there, since a BAT-script always opens a window anyway (even when starting
with "@echo off" and outputting nothing).

Hence, wouldn't be sh.exe instead of run.exe the right thing for
startxwin.bat?

Asks
        Lothar