Can't read lock file

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Wed Nov 11 18:33:00 GMT 2009

On 11/11/2009 02:40 AM, Fergus wrote:
> Q4 Why are questions about X specifically directed to a different
> mailing list? Apart from occasional high-frequency dialogue as at
> present, posts about X are (or seem to me to be) no more frequent than
> posts about grep or ls or chmod or ... . The "main" Cygwin list has a
> much higher readership and posts directed there might generate many
> useful hints, tips, experiences, fixes or even solutions?

Except in the cases where the issue at hand just looks like a X problem
but is instead a Cygwin problem, I don't see that being on a separate list
minimizes the knowledgeable readership.  That is, unless those with X
background don't know about the Cygwin-X list.  But if that's the case, they
may not really fall into the "knowledgeable" category. ;-)  And in the case
where it is a Cygwin vs a X problem, these questions get redirected
to the main list AFAICS when appropriate.

I believe the original intent was to keep X separated from the high volume
of the regular list rather than the other way around. The last time this
question
came up, the consensus supported that notion.  Of course, things could change
in the future.

Holliston, MA 01746