cygwin 1.7.0-63 problems with X programs

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Nov 12 13:49:00 GMT 2009

On 08/11/2009 14:11, Eliot Moss wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Nov 7 09:27, Eliot Moss wrote:
>>> Like another user, I had difficulty getting X to fire up.
>>> After setting LANG=en_US.UTF-8 I got farther, but these issues
>>> remain:
>>>
>>> Each xterm, xemacs, and xclock I start outputs this:
>>>
>>> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>>>
>>> I also get a series of:
>>>
>>> twm: warning: font for charset XXX is lacking.
>>>
>>> Where XXX is replaced by each of these in turn:
>>>
>>> JISX0208.1983-0
>>> KSC5601.1987-0
>>> GB2312.1980-0
>>>
>>> Those three lines repeat 6 times.

Now we are in a UTF-8 locale, it seems that Xlib tries rather excessively hard
(see [1]) to find some CJK fonts, presumably just in case we try to output
some characters they might provide.

I think this also causes the noticably slower startup of applications, as they
repeatedly search for fonts with these missing CJK encodings.

The workaround is too install the font-isas-misc, font-jis-misc and
font-daewoo-misc packages to provide fonts with these encodings.

I'm not sure if there is a better solution than that.

[1]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libX11/tree/modules/om/generic/omGeneric.c,
line 845

>>> Also:
>>
>>> 1) the whole deal takes noticeably longer to start
>>> 2) xemacs does not receive its normal geometry from .Xdefaults

If you could provide a specific example of a setting you are making in
.Xdefaults and how you know it's not being used

>>> 3) each xterm started from .xinitrc has a blank line
>>> before the initial bash prompt, that wasn't present before

Well spotted. In fact this seems to affect all Xterms, but I had completely
failed to notice this.

Are you absolutely sure it was updating to cygwin 1.7.0-63 which introduces
this, and not an Xserver/Xlib/xterm update?

>> I can reproduce that, but I can't make any sense of it. What on earth
>> does that have to do with setting LANG to "en_US.UTF-8"?!?
>>
>> I'll redirect this to the cygwin-xfree list.
>
> Thanks for the redirect, Corinna. I can report a bit more ...
>
> - Adding the locale lines for C.UTF-8 into locale.dir and compose.dir
> do work to get X to start for me. (These are the patches discussed
> in the "X11R7.5 and C.UTF-8" thread on cygwin-xfree.)
>
> - The other problems go away if I set LANG=C, so it's definitely
> something about the locale.
>
> Am I unusual in using twm :-) ?

Yes, but not in a good way :-)

--