Cut & Paste problem between X windows

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Thu Nov 12 20:47:00 GMT 2009

dblevi@comcast.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just discovered that setting "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" in my environment solved the problem with pasting into an xterm.  Not exactly sure why this fixed that problem, anybody know?
>
> I still have the problem with clipboard sharing between windows and cygwinx, though.  Could this also be related to the LANG environment variable?  Is there some other value other than en_US.UTF-8 required to get it to work?
>
> -Dave Levi
> dblevi@comcast.net

Explicitly setting LANG=C (not C.UTF-8) enabled me to work around
various X problems until enough other things were fixed. With the
latest available X-org packages and the latest cygwin (released
just in the last day or so) en_US.UTF-8 and C.UTF-8 started
working for me *provided* I also installed several sets of
fonts:

font-daewoo-misc
font-isas-misc
font-jis-misc

Apparently these were needed because X wants them around *in case*
it needs their encodings -- but only demands them if LANG is set
to a UTF-8 encoding (meaning: not in the LANG=C case).

Cheers -- Eliot Moss