Automatically positioned mouse movements are off target

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Nov 13 15:30:00 GMT 2009

On 24/08/2009 23:05, Brian Sheppard wrote:
> I installed Cygwin/X (latest version, according to the Cygwin installer) on
> my laptop. I use Putty with X11 forwarding to connect to a Red Hat Linux
> system. I start the X windows server on my laptop using startxwin.bat as
> installed. After logging in to the Red Hat system, I execute gnome-session&,
> and the gnome desktop shows on my Windows desktop. So far, so good.
>
> I am testing a Java application using a tool called Abbot. Abbot launches
> your Java Swing app within AbbotÂ’s JVM. Abbot reads the coordinates of Swing
> components from internal Java objects, and then issues mouse and keystroke
> commands to simulate user actions according to a script.
>
> My observation is that the mouse clicks are off target. Specifically, Abbot
> is aiming to hit the exact center of each component, but it misses either
> high or low. (Left and right centering seem fine.)
>
> The amount of the miss has something to do with my Task Bar. When the
> Windows Task Bar is locked at top, then the clicks miss below (i.e., lower
> on the screen) the intended component. When the Task Bar is docked to the
> right, left, or bottom, or if it is at the top and set to auto-hide then
> mouse clicks miss above the intended component.

Thanks for the problem report.

I did some testing against Xserver 1.7.1 with xevent [1] and xdotool [2] to
position the mouse pointer, but I wasn't able to reproduce the behaviour you
are seeing.

I really have no idea how to get started using abbot to reproduce the problem
you see, a simple test case would help a lot here.

[1] http://www.isv.uu.se/~ziemann/xevent/
[2] http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/

--
Jon TURNEY