'run xterm' fails to open a window

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Nov 20 15:26:00 GMT 2009

On 13/11/2009 03:14, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 11/12/2009 3:17 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> On 10/11/2009 23:44, Mike Ayers wrote:]
>>>
>>> Apparently, run.exe is not providing stdout/stderr to dump to. The
>>> workaround:
>>>
>>> [SNIP]
>>> C:\mike>C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe -p /usr/bin sh -c "gvim>/dev/null 2>&1"
>>> C:\mike>
>>> [/SNIP]
>>
>> Wait, are you saying that the process that run starts is blocked if it
>> tries to output anything?
>
> Ah, so this explains my xterm problem that started this thread. When I
> start xterm from a shell, I always get the message
>
> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>
> When I start xterm via run, this message apparently has nowhere to go
> and the xterm process is blocked. Mike's workaround (with 'gvim'
> replaced by 'xterm') solves the problem, as he said. Is this a bug in run?

It does kind of look like some problem with run, but not a universal one, 'run
xterm' has been working as expected for me, even when it has to output something.

Experimenting a bit, this seems to be related to having CYWIN=tty set in the
windows environment.  If I remove that, I can reproduce the problem you see.

I really don't understand the invisible console stuff well enough to attempt a
fix, though...

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer