Problem with new xinit - console window doesn't open (but bash starts)

Thomas Dickey dickey@his.com
Sun Nov 22 16:22:00 GMT 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Jon TURNEY wrote:

> On 20/11/2009 04:07, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>> More info:
>>
>> If I run startxwin.bat from a CMD.exe command line, the bash console
>> xterm opens just fine. I only have problems starting it from the shortcut.
>
> This is typical of the current issue we have where 'run xterm' blocks when
> xterm tries to output 'Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet
> conversion'
>
> Any one of:
> - installing the CJK fonts
> - having 'tty' in the CYGWIN environment variable
> - having the LANG environment set to a non-UTF-8 locale
> should work around this problem

...or perhaps setting xterm's menuLocale resource to "C"

>> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>
> This is xterm warning that the fontset has no fonts for CJK locales (as no
> CJK fonts are installed)

iirc, that's from the Xaw initialization, which asks X11 (library),
and _that_ falls into a hole where someone decided to load a fontset.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net