[ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: xorg-server-1.6.4-1

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Oct 8 21:25:00 GMT 2009

On 04/10/2009 22:19, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 03/10/2009 16:04, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 9/30/2009 11:41 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>>> The following patch has been REVERTED in this release:
>>>
>>> * "Use bash login shell to execute the commands started from the tray
>>> menu": This could cause lengthly delays in launching programs
>>> depending on the contents of the user's .bash_profile. Instead,
>>> xinit-1.1.1-5 launches XWin itself in a login shell, which should have
>>> the same effect.
>>
>> I think you may have also reverted some improvements that had been made
>> to /etc/X11/system.XWinrc. As a result, starting xterm from the tray
>> menu no longer starts a login shell. I would suggest something like the
>> following, as we discussed in the thread starting at
>> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-06/msg00010.html:
>
> Oh.
>
> Well, the point is that we shouldn't need to start things from XWinrc
> using a login shell, as the change to startxwin.bat launches XWin from a
> login shell, so all it's descendants should inherit a login environment.
>
> Doesn't seem to be working though :-(

Actually, this seems to be working fine.

But looking at PS1 to determine if you have a login shell in your ancestry
doesn't work, as PS1 gets unset by non-interactive bash shells. (This is
something which I have learnt today :-)

So attempting to set PS1 in /etc/profile and inherit it everywhere isn't going
to work.